Today, we are honoring a very special lady. Katie has been a good blogging friend of mine for a few years now. Actually, I’ve known her since before either of us started blogging. We first met online, when we were wedding planning. Both of us had our receptions at the same venue, albeit a month apart. She and her husband John are now expecting a baby in just a few weeks, and we wanted to surprise her with a shower! Special thanks to Julie and Christine for organizing everything.
The “theme” of the shower was “Easy ideas for the new mom and dad.” Not only does Katie blog recipes, she and John also are DIY home improvement experts. They’ve been sharing updates on the baby room on instagram, and I can’t wait to see how it comes together! Talk about busy!
Since I was out of town and couldn’t attend the real baby shower, I definitely wanted to participate in the virtual one. I contributed an easy quiche. It uses one pan, one bowl, and a pie shell. That’s way less prep and cleanup compared to some of my other recipes. The filling was inspired by spring, which so many of us are craving right now. And one slice will keep you full for a while – especially important for a nursing mother. Below is a collage and links of all the other wonderful people who made something for Katie. Being a busy mom myself, I can’t wait to try some of these recipes on those on-the-go weeknights!
Easy Broccoli & Cheddar Soup from The Little Kitchen
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers from Cook the Story
Individual Tortilla Caprese Pizzas from a farmgirl’s dabbles
Easy Cheesy Potato Corn Chowder from A Little Claireification
Slow Cooker Jambalaya from A Spicy Perspective
Italian Style Stir Fry from Aggie’s Kitchen
Apricot Chicken from Bombshell Bling
Easy Baked Spaghetti from Chocolate & Carrots
Cuban Casserole with Whole Grain Mustard Butter Biscuits from Climbing Grier Mountain
Freezer-Friendly Quinoa Meatballs from Cooking with Books
Baby Boy Subway Art Printable from H2OBungalow
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Cake from Inside BruCrew Life
Asparagus And Leek Quiche from Kokocooks
Roasted Lemon Parmesan Chicken with Red Potatoes from Life After Empty Nest
Yogurt Blueberry and Honey Smoothie from My Sweet Zepol
Pesto Parmesan Chicken Salad from Shaken Together
Printable Baby Whale Themed Cards and Project Life Mini Album from Simply Kelly Designs
Coconut Cookie Butter Sandwich Cookies from Simply Southern Baking
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Garden Vegetables from Sweet Remedy
Easy Kofta Kebabs from Tasty Chomps
Crock Pot Fajitas with Chicken and Quinoa from The Dinner-Mom
Overnight Oatmeal from The Hungry Housewife
Honey-Dijon Chicken, Apple & Quinoa Wraps from The Kitchen Prep
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup from The Lemon Bowl
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos from The Nifty Foodie
DIY Whale Art from While They Snooze
One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice from Yellow Bliss Road
- Bake pie shell according to package instructions (or according to recipe , if making a homemade one.) Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, and saute until just starting to brown, stirring occasionally. While the leeks cook, trim asparagus stalks. Take 8-12 stalks (depending on width of the stalks) and trim so they match the radius of the edge of the pie shell (4-4.5 inches). Set aside. Chop the bottom of the stalks into 1-inch pieces. Chop remaining asparagus into 1-inch pieces and place in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, half-and-half, and swiss cheese to the bowl and mix together. Stir in the browned leeks, dill, chives, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Arrange the reserved asparagus stalks in a spoke pattern on the top of the filling.
- Place quiche on a baking sheet and bake until set in the middle, about 45 minutes. Check after 30 minutes - if the top of the quiche begins to brown, place a sheet of foil over the top for the remainder of the time.
- Let quiche cool for 15 minutes before serving.