You all know about my love of cupcakes, right? Especially chocolate cupcakes. With peanut butter. It’s one of my favorite flavors from the local food truck. I wanted to make a cupcake with a ganache center similar to my beloved Darth Vader cupcake. And while I’m at it, might as well make the ganache peanut butter flavored!
I made these cupcakes a few weeks ago for the baby shower of one of my dearest friends. I suggested chocolate peanut butter, because I knew she loved that flavor combination. She said, “I can’t have that at a baby shower…can I?” My reply, “Why not? It’s your shower!” Why not indeed.
cupcake recipe adapted from Cupid’s Chocolate Cake
- For the ganache filling: Place chocolate and peanut butter in a heat proof bowl. In a small saucepan, warm heavy cream over medium-high heat until just beginning to bubble. Pour cream into the bowl over the chocolate. Let sit for five minutes, then gently stir until all the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Let ganache cool until thickened to a soft-serve consistency. (To hurry this process, chill in the refrigerator and stir every few minutes until desired consistency has been reached.)
- For the cucpakes: Line 18 muffin cups with a cupcake liner. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Fill cupcake liners to ¾ full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes clean, about 17-18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely.
- Scoop out a little of the top of each cupcake. Pipe ganache into each hole.
- For the frosting: With a mixer (hand held or stand), beat the peanut butter, butter, and vanilla together in a large bowl. Add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth and fluffy. Frost cupcakes as desired.