Hubs celebrated his birthday (the big 3-5) way back in December. As usual, he worked that day, teaching his usual load. I made cupcakes for him to share with the students, so everyone benefited. When I asked him what type of cupcake he wanted, he said, “Surprise me.” These cupcakes, with their triple dose of chocolate, were quite a pleasant surprise.
Adapted from cupcakes!
By Elinor Klivans
- For the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 18 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is
- smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. In a separate large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Mix in the chocolate on low speed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat until the mixture has lightened slightly, about 1 minute. Mix in the sour cream until no white streaks remain. Add half the flour mixture, mixing until just blended. Mix in the water. Mix in the remaining flour mixture until the batter is smooth.
- Scoop batter into prepared cups, and bake until set, about 18-20 minutes. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- For the ganache: In a small saucepan, heat ¾ c of the heavy cream and the butter over medium-low heat until the cream is hot and the butter has melted. Do not let the mixture boil. Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips. Let the chocolate sit for a few minutes, then carefully stir until the chocolate has melted. Add the vanilla and stir until the mixture is smooth. Let the ganache cool to room temperature.
- Place remaining heavy cream in a large bowl. Beat until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and coffee granules. Continue beating the cream until firm peaks form. Take half the whipped cream and half the cooled ganache and place in another bowl. Stir to combine. Add remaining whipped cream and gently fold into the mixture until no white streaks remain.
- Hollow out the center of the cupcakes. Fill the centers with the chocolate mousse. Spread the remaining ganache over the tops of the cupcakes.
- Store cupcakes in the refrigerator.