Adapted from The Confetti Cakes Cookbook
By Elisa Strauss
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners. Whisk cake flour, cocoa, and salt in a bowl.
- Combine oil and sugar in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer until blended. Add eggs one at a time, and beat after each addition. Add food coloring and vanilla, and beat on low. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Beat between additions until just combined.
- Place baking soda in a small bowl. Stir in the vinegar. Add to the batter while the machine is running, and beat for 10 seconds.
- Fill liners with batter to about 2/3 of the way up. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes clean when inserted into a cupcake. Cool on a wire rack. Frost as desired.
- Cream the cream cheese and butter together. Gradually add the powdered sugar, and beat until smooth. Beat in the vanilla.