Chicken Potpie

Hubs and I just finished a hectic week. We performed Gustav Mahler’s Symphony No. 2, arguably one of the greatest works in the repertoire. It’s a very theatrical piece – chorus of over 200, vocal soloists, and a slew of off-stage brass and percussion. It’s subtitle is, “The Resurrection,” and we were all thoroughly uplifted by the performance.

We had rehearsals every night leading up to the concert. Knowing we wouldn’t have time to cook dinner, I made these chicken potpies in advance. Hubs is trying to reduce his carb intake, so I left out potatoes. The extra veggies more than made up for the lack of potatoes. And the individual pies upped the pastry/filling ratio, which was just fine with me!

Original recipe

2 c cooked chicken, cut into small chunks
¼ c plus 1 Tbs all-purpose flour
Fresh thyme leaves
Single crust pastry dough
1 egg

Instructions

1. Pour the chicken stock and milk into a saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat. Cover and keep warm.
  2. Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté until vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add the peas and corn and cook another 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken.
  3. Sprinkle the flour over the chicken mixture and stir until combined. Pour in the chicken stock mixture and keep stirring until the flour has dissolved. Place the mixture into a 2 quart casserole or individual casseroles. Sprinkle thyme leaves over the top. Roll out pastry dough and cover the casserole dish(es). Crimp to seal the edges.
  4. Beat the egg with a little bit of water in a small bowl. Brush the egg wash over the pastry dough. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Garnish with some thyme sprigs. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.

Notes

I've received a lot of questions about freezing and reheating the pot pies. Once the pot pies have been filled and covered with the pastry dough, cover with foil and freeze. To reheat: thaw ahead of time and bake, uncovered, according to the directions below.

Read More:

Sweet Comments:

1. I definitely want to try that this week! it is finally starting to get cool over here in Dallas and this looks amazing!

2. Mahler 2 is amazing. Never tried corn in mah pot pie. It’s going in next round. cheers.

3. This look like the perfect comfort food!

4. These look so cute and delicious! I’m not usually a fan of chicken potpie, but these are making me change my mind… 🙂

5. Sounds simple and delicious, I love it!

6. I just found your blog today and I am already in love with pretty much everything on the first page!! 🙂 I am definitely putting this on my MUST MAKE SOON! list.

7. I just made this tonight only I added frozen hash brown potatoes to the veggies. My family RAVED. It was sooo good and quick and easy to make. I used a recipe for single crust pie dough only I used butter instead of shortening and we loved the crust. Previously I made a pot pie with a Bisquik crust but the pie dough crust is much better. Will definitely make this again!!

8. Do you think this could be frozen?

9. Margrett,

I’ve frozen them before and given them to my mom. She reheated them in the oven, and said they tasted great.

10. Great, thank you. Have a great weekend.

11. Did you cook them before freezing them? Great blog!

12. krcrafts, I did not bake them before freezing. I made recipe up to topping the potpies with the crust, then covered and froze them.

13. what temp & time did you use to bake after frozen, did you cook frozen like from the grocery store?

14. Beth,

When reheating frozen potpies, I cover the top with foil, and place them on a baking sheet. I bake at 375 for about 45 minutes, then take the foil off, and bake for another 15 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly. Alternately, you could thaw the potpies in the fridge and then bake them for a shorter period of time – 20 minutes or so.

15. Thanks so much.. will definitely try this week. B

16. Anonymous says:

I made these pot pies tonight for supper. Although there is a lot of prep time for them, they are definitely delicious. Every member of my family raved over them. They are very filling. I served with a salad and it was a complete meal. Thanks for the recipe!!

17. Oh I’ll definitely be making these for my family (with soy chicken and vegetable broth to make it Vegetarian). Can’t wait!

18. Do you put pie crust on bottom, too?

19. Katy,

Nope, just on the top.

20. How many people does this recipe feed? Thanks!

21. Kat,

The recipe serves 6-8.

22. What a delightful recipe! I will be creating some of these treasures for the week to come. Just a suggestion when replacing the potatoes, try using sweet potatoes or yams. Delish and a healthier choice than the white spud. Thanks for this wonderful recipe.

23. Anonymous says:

If I am going to add potatoes do I pre-boil them a bit?

24. Anonymous,

To be on the safe side, I would parboil the potatoes before adding to the potpie.

25. Anonymous says:

I made it tonight, but the filling was really runny… Is this the way it’s suppose to be?

26. Anonymous,

The gravy for the filling should be a little thin, but not runny. I’m not sure why it turned out that way for you. The bottom picture should give you an idea of how the filling looks.

27. oh man this looks good. I found it on pinterest and just couldn’t stop thinking of it. I love how you put it in those tins. I am so happy to have found your blog and am now following you. when you have a chance check out my blog http://www.questfordelish.blogspot.com

28. How many individual pies does the recipe make?

29. What size tin did you use. Does this freeze well? If so, should your bake before freezing?

30. Vicky,

I used disposable mini-loaf tins. The recipe fills about four of them. They do freeze well. I cover and freeze them before baking.

31. Hi, just wondering what your thoughts would be if I put crust on the inside too?.. Like along the bottom and the sides of the pan?..

32. I like crust on the bottom too. Do you think this would work?

33. Daizha and Mary, go for it! I think crust on the bottom would be great. My husband has suggested that as well, so next time I may try it. The recipe will call for more dough for the additional crust.

34. Anonymous says:

Oh yummy, this looks great and I think a crust on the bottom is a great idea. Would it cook for the same amount of time with a crust on the bottom? Thanks from kmgamma@yahoo.com

35. Anonymous,
    That’s a good question. My best guess would be to add about 10 minutes to the baking time. If the top looks like it’s getting too brown, cover it with foil. Good luck!

36. Anonymous says:

I love PPies. Will try this real soon.

37. was wondering if this recipe could be used in a 9″ pie plate as opposed to the mini tins . . . thoughts?

38. @Jessica,

That’s a great idea, however I’m not sure it all would fit in one 9″ pie plate. Maybe a deep dish pie plate?

39. Anonymous says:

Does this recipe make the portion of pans pictured? Also could u add a pastry to the bottom?

40. Anonymous,

Yes, the recipe makes the number of pies pictured. I haven’t tried putting pastry on the bottom, but it’s a great idea! You would need a considerable amount of extra dough to do that.

41. Anonymous says:

Hello! Can somebody plz give me the recipe for the Crust Coz it’s not available here. Thankyou.

42. Anonymous,

If you want a homemade crust recipe, this one is my favorite.

43. Anonymous says:

Tried this last night and it was great! I used a oversized muffin tin to make mine, and put a bottom crust on them. I put the bottom crust in and put them in the oven empty for a couple minutes just to cook them a little. Then I filled them and put the tops on. I cooked them for about 15 minutes covered with foil and then cooked them another 20 uncovered. They were so good and my husband wants them again really soon! I also took out the corn and peas and put in mushrooms and broccoli just because we prefer those veg’s. The liquid was good, but I added about 3/4 of a can of Progresso recipe starters cooking sauce (creamy roasted garlic) to make it even creamier.

44. This recipe is awesome. I made the four smaller pot pies today. I think I could have eaten the entire delicious pot pie but saved half for my significant other. The other three are in the freezer. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

45. Kirsten says:

Can you tell me where you got the aluminum foil containers?? i’m trying to find them but i’m sure i’m looking in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance.

Kirsten

• Kokocooks says:

Kirsten,

The containers are mini-bread loaf tins that I found at the supermarket. They were located with the other disposable baking pans, near the storage containers.

46. I found your post through Pinterest and am pleased to read about you. I see you are a very accomplished musician — I’m 60 and just beginning to learn how to play piano, something I’ve wanted to do all my life.
    I’m also going to try your recipe!

47. Jackie S. says:

I just spent 1/2 hr trying to find baking time and temp for some pot pies I made using leftover beef stew…………..your page wins! LOL!

48. Jacqueline says:

This looks Great!!!

49. Are you using loaf pans or mini loaf pans? Would the cooking time be different for either one? Looks delicious!

• Kokocooks says:

Susan, I used mini loaf pans. The cooking time will need to be increased if using regular loaf pans.

50. Can I use pillsbury canned

51. Marcia Raichart says:

What are the calories, carbs, and fat in the chicken Potties recipe? I am diabetic, so it helps to know the info. Thanks!

• Kokocooks says:

Hi Marcia,

I don’t count calories as a habit, so do not publish the calorie count in my recipes. You can use a site like caloriecount.com to determine the nutrition information of the dish.

Trackbacks

1. […] used Kokocooks chicken pot pie recipe for the filling and topped it off with mashed potatoes (potatoes, butter, cream, salt and pepper). […]

2. […] Freezable Chicken Pot Pie Recipe […]